Sunday, January 27, 2008

I'm addicted...

To ancestry.com.... i need help.

I've always been interested in history and wondered about who my ancestors were. Last year i scribbled down some basic family tree information from my grandparents. I didn't do much with it. Then.. Karen Foster came along. //side note// I credit Karen Foster with getting me off my butt to do a lot of things because.. i need pictures for certain themes.// I was assigned "Heritage" as one of my scrapbooking themes for the trade show next month. As i looked over the new products, i got out my information and started working. I got hooked. I was finding information, tracing clues, trying to peice together things. I did enough to get through a few layouts for the trade show and sent off my layouts.

After that.. i decided i should really organize my scribble scrabble of notes and hand jotted family trees. So i hopped onto ancestry.com and started entering my family tree information. At first i just used the free service of the basic tree. Then i started realizing... ooooh.. they have Census records.. and immigration records and even records from England and Wales. Ok i'm plunking down my credit card info for access to that. And then the world opened up. I have spent hours... staring at my ancestors names.. handwritten on the census papers... at their occupations, their birthplaces.. their parents birth places... it's... just... overwhelming. I have found War Draft Cards... and so much. I have solved mysteries.. i have found other relatives who are working on their trees too... i'm only afraid.. well that personal hygiene is being sacrificed here as i sat at my computer way too long in my jammies cross referencing and searching LOL.

Most of my ancestors came from Wales and England. No surprise, have you seen my pale skin? But i do have some on my dad's side from Slovakia and even have traced one line all the way back to the 1700's from Germany! (ok most of the work was done for me on that one, someone else had already researched the tree) LOL

Here's my family tree so far if you care to look. It's a loving work in progress :)

2 comments:

Wendy Lojik said...

OH yah a buddy to help me figure this stuff out. We will be talking. I have had a subscription? (whatever) for a year I have found some fun stuff too but, you have gone way beyond me baby! Go YOU!

Anonymous said...

So it's worth it?? I need to know more. We are looking now and trying to work out who my great-grandfather is.
Kasey