I have really focused on eating healthier foods (cutting way down on processed foods, white flour, sugar, etc) and on eating balanced meals. And eating 5 small meals a day. That means every meal must have about equal portions of carb, protein, veggies. Well as many veggies as you want of course. Portion size plays a big role in this plan too as well as vigorous strength training and interval training.
The main books that Audrey and I are following on this plan are:

1. Eating for Life. AKA "The Food Bible" This is the BEST cookbook ever! Every recipe has a full page picture as well as pictures of the ingredients. I don't know why that helps but it just does! I wish all cookbooks showed pictures of the meals (especially my Rachael Ray books!)

2. Strength for Life by Shawn Phillips. Or Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Solid philosophy, exercise plan, life plans.
Some of the things that have helped me the most:

1. My Gold's Gym adjustable dumbell set from good old Walmart. It has been FABULOUS.

2. My Reebok Stayball 55cm (for us short people).. from Target. It has made exercise more comfortable and doable.

3. Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb. Oh how i love thee... let me count the ways.. At 35 calories per triangle it is a powerhouse for me on this diet! Thank you to our wholesale club for carrying this 3 pack!!

4. Wasa Crackers - most varieties are whole grain and low cal. Take 2, add Laughing cow cheese and some turkey slices and salsa and you've got my favorite snack!
5. Salter Food Scale - This thing has been WAY more useful than I ever thought. Want to know how much 2oz of dried pasta really is? Got it. Trying to split up a pack of chicken into 4oz portions? Done. It rocks!
6. My 1 liter travel mug from 7-11. Love this thank you Mom! I know i need to drink at LEAST 3 of them a day and it's easy for me to do and take it anywhere as it fits in my cupholder! And hey i'm not using water bottles!
7. Weight Watchers Zero Point Soup. I make up a batch and use it as a veggie side dish throughout the week. Easy to add to a chicken or turkey burger for a quick lunch. Now i do spice mine up, removed the green beans, added fresh spinach, add broccoli slaw and shred the zucchini... but it's basically the same thing. You can also add some meat and pasta to this for a quick dinner!
8. Meal Spreadsheet - I have the best rocking spreadsheet for meal planning. Made up by the lovely Audrey of course. I have no idea how to link it but if you want it, leave a comment! Nothing is more important than planning! And it relieves your mind the rest of the week. I get lazy around that 3pm snack time... and would rather just eat junk.. but Alex loves to check the meal plan on the fridge and remind me "MOM! It's time for Cinnamon Apples and Cheese sticks!!" Something about having it planned out gets me back in the kitchen and eating something healthy.

9. Tupperware Hamburger Press and Freezer Set. I often use this with the food scale. If i have extra portions of ground chicken or turkey than i need for the meal i'm making... i take the extra portions and throw them in the press with some spices and into the freezer. Ready for a quick lunch thrown on the George Foreman grill.

10. Designer Whey Vanilla Praline Protein Powder - Love this stuff! We had it to oatmeal, cream of wheat, smoothies, puddings, and all sorts of recipes.

11. Liquid Egg Whites - lots of recipes in the EFL book call for egg whites. Our favorite is the Protein Pancakes - LOVE THEM! This is an easy way to get all the egg whites you need.
12. Audrey. I won't post a picture because she'd kill me... but i don't think i could have done any of this without her. She's been through this journey before, so she has been my personal trainer and life coach. Even from MD, we have supported each other and kept each other on track. Everyone needs support. It's a big part of accomplishing any goal.
3 comments:
Umm we need a photo of you! Come on. I have been meaning to buy the whey powder I read some good things about it. Congrats girl. I am trying no regular soda since Sunday and a little bit of diet today.
Don't forget your "free day" Saturday morning Starbucks!!!!
You Go Girl!!!!
Post a Comment